Monday 4 January 2010

Goose Eggs

Oh wow, one of our lovely geese has started laying. I knew that they only laid eggs in the Spring but I'd hardly call 4th January with snow on the ground 'Spring'. However, there it is. About twice the size of a hens egg. Apparently each goose can lay up to 80 eggs in this 'spring' period... and we have four geese... that's a LOT of egg eating to be done! I've heard say that goose eggs make the best cakes, turning sponges to a wonderful daffodil yellow colour. The boys are looking forward to finding out if that's true.

You can also see from the photo that our hens are still happily laying 4 or 5 eggs a day though we had been told to expect them to go off the lay for December/January. Good job I didn't pickle any for the winter store cupboard.

I'm glad that someone pointed me in the direction of all the myths surrounding eggs and high blood colesterol as we can now eat them with a free conscience having seen that the research does not point to any link between the two. I must look out the link to put in here in case you're interested in finding out more.

No comments:

Post a Comment